[CAUT] lighter touchweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 07:41:52 MDT 2007

In that case moving the stack was clearly the right choice.  My typical
encounters on Steinways are not like that, however.  Strike points are often
correct or, if anything, need to be moved forward, capstan alignments are
uniform, keyslips are already uncomfortably close to the keyframe,
backchecks have barely enough clearance from the sostenuto rod and
frequently the magic line between key encompassing key front, capstan and
wippen center can be improved.  Moving the capstan and, if necessary,
altering wippen heel height in those cases is a better choice, in my view.
Each situation should be analyzed individually and decisions made
accordingly.

In the case of the Baldwin, which is where this post originated, the ones
I've encountered from that period are generally set up well in terms of
alignment, strike point etc.  However, they do tend to have a very high key
ratio which contributes to the leverage being high overall and with
mismatched SWs that create a heavyish action with high front weights.  I've
had predictable success on many of these by making a simple capstan move
allowing me to rebalance the action to a lighter BW and remove lead.  The
job can certainly be done in much less than six hours using epoxy mixed with
light filleting blend and squeezed through a glue applicator to fill old
holes.  If you are cutting plugs it takes a lot longer.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com