[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Oct 22 14:35:19 MDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) wrote:

> Aside from perhaps your experience at USC, why do you think it’s
> silly?
Because the pianos that require concert experience make up less than
2% of the inventory.

Concert work is only a fraction of the job, and in 90 percent of the
situations, maybe even more, a good solid tuning with solid basic
regulation and voicing will suffice for the concert work.  It is
misguided to base the majority of the job on such a small fraction of
the work.  A good concert tech might well hate tuning uprights, but
that tends to be a large part of the job.

I realize a lot of techs on this list are in situations where more
high profile concert activity is happening.  But I would wager that
most schools that have music majors aren't that fortunate.  Most
situations really just need a good solid technician.

> Why do you suppose they might be interested in concert tuning
> experience?
Well, they're judging based on the most visible instrument.  The
piano faculty (which tends to be what search committees are made up
of) tends to know very little about the remainder of the inventory.

> Certainly it couldn’t hurt to have a proven track record of being
> able to tune well enough for pianists in a concert situation.

Couldn't hurt, but it's vastly overrated.  Concert tuning instability
is due more to temperature changes and climate instability than lack
of tuner skill.

> I agree that a tuning audition might be a bit silly unless there is
> somebody on the search committee who actually knows something about
> tuning.
>

> Eric

Exactly.
Jeff