[CAUT] Uniform Formal Education (Jeff Tanner)

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 14:14:11 MDT 2007

In his his Executive Outlook, Dale, in part said, "the standardized tests for skills used in everyday piano service". I don't believe our current tuning exam tests the skills of everyday piano service. There are two reasons I don't think the current tuning exam is "up to date". First, the current tuning exam was developed before the vast majority of tuners used ETD's, and being able to aurally set a temperament was extremely important. But most piano tuners are able to accomplish this task with the use of an ETD. And second, although a temperament is important when tuning the piano, what is even more critical?are unisons and stability. How many customers complain about a "bad" temperament, but will pick out a "bad" unison, in a second. How does tuning the unisons in the middle two octaves prove the tuner can hear unisons in octaves 5 - 7, much less in the 2nd octave?

?

As I said, before we even consider changing the tuning exam, we need to be open to the idea that we need to change it. But it appears most members are content to stay within the box.

?

Wim

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT

Piano Tuner/Technician