[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:33:30 MDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Fred, Jeff, others,
>

> 98% of my job hinges on how well I do on that 2%.

At least in the technician's mind.

I am convinced it is far more important to us than to the performer.
I have never heard a performer complain about a tuning, even one that
came significantly out of tune.  They are much more concerned with
repetition and tonal change.  I have a recording of selections from a
Chopin International Piano Competition and those pianos came well out
of tune, but it was considered high enough quality to release and sell.

I don't mean that concert tuning isn't important.  I think it gets to
a point where the only people who can tell the difference are piano
tuners.

> Personally, I think only about 2% of technicians I know are capable
> of true “concert work”, but 98% think they are (See attached article).

And this is the judgement of a piano tuner.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina