[CAUT] Moving wippen rail

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 22:56:14 MDT 2007

My theory ( I think I read it somewhere but don't count on me to remember:-)

The wippen is a compound lever. The support arm is a third class lever (wippen
center/capstan/jack center) with the repetition lever acting as a
second class lever
(wippen center/knuckle/jack center) in some type of vector situation
with the support lever.
The force at the knuckle/rep lever contact point is calculated from a
line drawn down
from that point perpendicular to the support thus engaging it as a
second class lever.

As the wippen rail moves back, the capstan moves further from the
fulcrum and so does
the knuckle on the rep lever thus the vector/perpendicular relation
on the support.

As the wippen rail moves further back such that the jack is
perpendicular to the
support rail, the whole system becomes a third class lever. So
there's no advantage
mechanically to moving the wippen rail outside of reaching that
saturation point at which the compound second/third class lever
system becomes optimum for the action parameters. Line of centers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I shimmed a rail out today and yes, the UW & DW dropped. I don't
attribute it to
improving wippen ratio but vector alignment.  If I kept moving the rail back
I'm sure the numbers would degrade.
--

Regards,

Jon Page