[CAUT] Moving wippen rail

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 25 05:21:58 MDT 2007

I think... that if you pull the whippen out a bit... then a couple
things are changing that are not mentioned here.  Or at least the only
one in the ball park has been pointing at the jack center.

If you leave the jack unadjusted after the move... then of course its
going to be well back of  its origional point... and no one would
question that that essentially puts the knuckle farther out on the
shank.  But we DO realign the jack... but in doing so we change its
angle.  Thats going to change the force vector down to the actual point
on the whippen thats supporting the load... namely the spot where the
jack is connected to the whippen.

The whippen is a bit of a complicated lever really... because tho its
easy conceptually to think of the cushion / flange center / and jack top
as our three points of interest in figureing its leverage... one
actually needs to take into consideration the jacks angle to the jack
center... and its length from the flange center into consideration if
one wants to get real precise.  Not only that.. but you have to get into
the starting angle and ending angle of the whippen as a whole.  Overs
makes a big point of that on his site.

So... really  I have to go with Jon here.  The change in apparent
leverage is because of vector alignment. One also will experience a
change in friction.

In anycase.. the whole whippen spread discussion is more a matter of
keeping the jack at a proper angle to the hammer shank when the action
is at rest and properly regulated.  For a given blow distance... there
isnt much room for repositioning the whippen in the first place.
Otherwise you will create friction problems at the jack / knuckle.

Cheers
RicB

    I shimmed a rail out today and yes, the UW & DW dropped. I don't
    attribute it to
    improving wippen ratio but vector alignment.  If I kept moving the
    rail back
    I'm sure the numbers would degrade.
    --

    Regards,