[CAUT] Moving wippen rail

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 25 05:24:42 MDT 2007

Didnt see before writing my last.  Yes... this sounds about right.

Cheers
RicB

    My theory ( I think I read it somewhere but don't count on me to
    remember:-)

    The wippen is a compound lever. The support arm is a third class
    lever (wippen
    center/capstan/jack center) with the repetition lever acting as a
    second class lever
    (wippen center/knuckle/jack center) in some type of vector situation
    with the support lever.
    The force at the knuckle/rep lever contact point is calculated from a
    line drawn down
    from that point perpendicular to the support thus engaging it as a
    second class lever.

    As the wippen rail moves back, the capstan moves further from the
    fulcrum and so does
    the knuckle on the rep lever thus the vector/perpendicular relation
    on the support.

    As the wippen rail moves further back such that the jack is
    perpendicular to the
    support rail, the whole system becomes a third class lever. So
    there's no advantage
    mechanically to moving the wippen rail outside of reaching that
    saturation point at which the compound second/third class lever
    system becomes optimum for the action parameters. Line of centers.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    I shimmed a rail out today and yes, the UW & DW dropped. I don't
    attribute it to
    improving wippen ratio but vector alignment.  If I kept moving the
    rail back
    I'm sure the numbers would degrade.
    --

    Regards,