[CAUT] CAUT testing model

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 11:27:25 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net>
To: caut at ptg.org
Sent: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 7:08 am
Subject: [CAUT] CAUT testing model

The more I think about it, the more it seems that this is the model on which at least a part of a CAUT tuning exam could be based. Why is this such a clever idea? Because it realistically simulates the conditions under which a CAUT technician typically operates. There is never enough time to do any job, one always has to make choices, do triage, set priorities, make the best possible assessment of what one can "get away" with. This interview is clever because it addresses the candidate's ability to function under those conditions.

I am wondering if a test could be structured along the same lines. Give the candidate a tuning assignment and a time frame way too short to do the job "perfectly". Devise a scoring system rating the results in terms of priorities and score the candidate in terms of how well he or she met those priorities. That might be a better assessment of a candidate's chops than a "concert tuning" in 90 minutes. Yes, this would be very complicated and involve a lot of trial and error real-time experimenting. But it might lead to some sort of realistic test of "chops".

Israel Stein

One major problem with this kind of test is who is to determine which repair needs the most attention. Different people evaluate problems differently. Although there is a certain order of regulating, it doesn't always HAVE to be that way. Whenever I ask my wife to do a number of tasks, I kind of have a certain order in which I think she should do them. Her logic, however, is totally different from mine, and she does it another way. The end result is the same, but from start to finish, you'd think she was working on a totally different project.

Wim