[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:43:13 MDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:33:03 -0600
  terryb <t46xd8jb at xplornet.com> wrote:
> I wonder if there should be a definition of CAUT
>technician?
>
> I am listed on the CAUT website and I do work part time
>at a university, but I am not a concert technician and I
>do not aspire to become one. I tune mainly practice room
>and studio uprights and grands. I do some of the
>regulating on these pianos. There is a "Concert"
>technician at the university and he looks after the high
>quality pianos.
>
> Should my name be removed from the CAUT website?
>
> Terry Beckingham RPT

Hi Terry,
I would say that you are definitely a caut. Not the lead
caut at your institution, but a caut nonetheless. In
working on a "caut endorsement" I think we are aiming at
qualifications for "lead technician," someone who has the
skills to manage and carry out the work that needs to be
done at the level required. And, of course, we have to set
some sort of standard which may not apply to every
circumstance, but which should nonetheless be meaningful.
You may or may not choose to pursue the endorsement.

I find it interesting to see the focus in this discussion
on a single little word: "Concert." (Far more discussion
of that word and its connotations than on the actual meat
of the draft tuning test). Obviously this word is
emotionally charged and has a lot of connotations for
many. For me, it is a far more prosaic word. In my more
cynical moods, I say that a concert technician is one who
is willing to work nights and weekend, under often
appalling conditions (of noise, lighting, etc), doesn't
mind at least some last minute calls even if they aren't
really an emergency (the person in charge just forgot),
has a thick enough skin to be willing to put work on
public display, is willing to make the best of not enough
time, and can get along with the stage and technical crew
of the hall.

And then when I am feeling more idealistic, I remember a
short term mentor who made a big point of saying as we
parted, "Never forget how important and special concert
work is." And he was so right. The concert you are
preparing for may be the culmination of years and years of
preparation by a degree candidate. It is almost always
recorded in a university environment and listened to
later, possibly used as a demo, and copied and sent to
family and friends. Or it is a faculty or guest artist,
who has spent a lifetime preparing to produce excellence.
I feel privileged to be a part of that (when I'm not
exhausted and grouchy), and those words remind me that
every single string matters.

But it should be made plain to everyone that whatever word
we put on our test for caut tuning, it is just a test of a
level of skill, call it what you will. Call it "production
tuning with an emphasis on unisons and stability," for
instance. Can you produce it or not? It should be a
significant level of skill, and must be something that can
be evaluated fairly objectively. The draft ideas I
presented a couple weeks or so back are just that, a
draft. They were posted mostly to let give the caut
community a peek at what we were up to. But this is just
what two members of the caut committee, working with a
volunteer whose arm we twisted, have come up with and
submitted to the full committee. After the caut committee
makes its changes, it will go to ETSC, to the board, to
various other folks for reactions, and will no doubt be
revised a great deal during the process. And finally
something will be presented to council, quite possibly
this coming summer in Anaheim.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico