[CAUT] CAUT testing model

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 25 14:41:51 MDT 2007

Glad somebody got the hint!

This story can inspire many possible tests based on the pattern "more than anyone could diagnose in the time limit, but not so much that real improvement is impossible."

-Start with a regulated piano, randomly distribute 20 subtle regulation errors over the piano.  Add a few voicing errors as well. The examinee has 20 minutes to diagnose and correct as many errors as possible.

-Detune a piano in the pattern of a "humidity struck" piano, and the examinee has 20 minutes to get the octaves and unisons back in shape.

In my ideal world these exams would be fairly easy to set up and administer, interesting to take and of value to anyone interested in monitoring and improving their skills past the RPT exams.

I also wonder if something more broad than a pass/fail category like RPT might be of value.  By taking classes and passing exams on a range of topics, a person could gradually build a "transcript" of advanced learning and competency demonstration.  Eager folks who got a "C" score might like to come back and retake when they have higher skills.

Ed Sutton