[CAUT] Exam model

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 17:12:50 MDT 2007

At 02:33 PM 10/25/2007, caut-request at ptg.org wrote:
>So, with tongue in cheek, I would suggest that in formulating this
>test, don't forget that you will need to simulate normal stage
>activities such as loading in the artist's equipment, setting
>lights, putting the shell in place, checking the sound system,
>vacuuming the carpet in the aisles of the hall, mopping the stage,
>the artist's request to voice down the high treble and regulate the
>pedal to an unusual spec, and for good measure, the stage manager
>walking up and notifying the tech that his time has been cut short
>by 15 minutes because the artist wants to warm up, and, oh, the
>artist asks that you do an extra special fine concert tuning tonight.
>
>All in a day's work, right?

Actually, Kent, you can take your tongue out of your cheek (at least
part of the way.)  In some preliminary discussions on this subject in
ETSC (the CAUT committee are not the only ones working on this, BTW)
suggestions were made to perhaps require the examinee to do some
tuning at a specified level of ambient noise...

Israel Stein