[CAUT] CAUT testing model

David M. Porritt dporritt at smu.edu
Sat Oct 27 07:54:23 MDT 2007

What Alan said about the time and noise constraint.

I think Kent really did have his tongue in his cheek when he suggested the noise during the tuning.  When drivers test are given on streets full of NY taxi drivers to give a “real world” feel then maybe we can revisit this.

You said you think the tuning standard has become higher in the recordings and live performances you’ve heard on Performance Today though you questioned the voicing.  We can’t question the voicing unless we ask the player what he/she asked for.  Sometime I’m asked to produce voicing that is exactly the opposite of what I would have expected from the piano.  I think any voicing test should simply be what someone can deliver from what they are asked.  If the piano is bright and the technician is asked for brighter and he/she delivers that’s the criterion.  Yes, the voicing you heard on some broadcasts might not be what you would want, but if that is what the artist asked for it’s right.

All this said about the test, when I would vote not to have a test for this credential.  The only test I can think of that would be even close to fair would be to have the testing committee visit an actual recital given by a reasonable artist and see if the demands are met.  A questioner could be given to the artist with appropriate questions about how the technician and piano worked to his favor.  Other than that the test will just be some sort of obstacle course with random, quasi-real-world hurdles to jump.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu