[CAUT] CAUT testing model

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Oct 29 13:02:07 MST 2007

On Oct 27, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

> All this said about the test, when I would vote not to have a test
> for this credential.  The only test I can think of that would be
> even close to fair would be to have the testing committee visit an
> actual recital given by a reasonable artist and see if the demands
> are met.  A questioner could be given to the artist with
> appropriate questions about how the technician and piano worked to
> his favor.  Other than that the test will just be some sort of
> obstacle course with random, quasi-real-world hurdles to jump.
>
> dave
> ____________________
> David M. Porritt, RPT
> dporritt at smu.edu
>

> This test would only be valid if the school had the budget to keep
> the piano in excellent working condition. It wouldn't be fair to
> the tech, nor the artist, to perform miracles on a piano that is in
> desperate need of new everything.
>

> Wim

But it would be real world CAUTism!  :-)

Actually, no.  What actually happens in CAUT life is that the faculty
wants the visiting artist to present a seminar the day of the
performance, and the only available time is your piano prep hour.

That's why you book the hall at the same time every day and keep it
stable.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina