[CAUT] (no subject)

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:35:50 MST 2007

Hi Richard,

Never thought your comments to be negative. They have always been
thoughtful and well-received. It is my hope all this good discussion
will lead us down the right path and yes, we do realize this may take
a long time. Now is a good time to take that first step.

Thanks,
Don

> Eric, Fred, Jim, Don and others of the CAUT committee:
>
> First, I want to join in the applause for the committee.  The tasks
> you've been charged with are daunting.  I appreciate your interest
> and only ask that your passion be matched with a good dose of
> realism and practicality.  If it isn't, I'm sure you know that
> you'll hear about it from the multitudes.
>
> Like Dennis Johnson has stated, you've received a lot of input
> recently and so now you have to pull all of the comments together
> with your own ideas, and produce something workable.  I must admit
> my preference lies with seeing some concrete movement in curriculum
> development rather than testing.  But I'm not one to stand in the
> way of progress.  Many of the major steps forward in PTG have come
> about because a dedicated member took it upon himself/herself to
> follow an idea to a solid product that  can be put to use.  Also I
> agree with Ed that consulting with programs that have worked is a
> good path to pursue.  Successful university mentoring/teaching
> programs, manufacturers schools, and residence schools could all be
> valuable resources.
>
> I've always felt that the CAUT committee was full of potential that
> had gone untapped.  CAUT's are a talented group with access to
> quality pianos.  Plans that reach out to that group will also reach
> out across the country to the very grassroots of PTG.  I've always
> felt that as good as the convention is, it only reaches a limited
> number of people.  For PTG as a whole to move forward, we need to
> find ways to get to the grassroots of the organization. If your
> efforts can address that problem, the impact will be greater.  I
> would like to see programs that not only help CAUT's to improve/
> test their skills, but help CAUT's to educate/train students and
> apprentices in their own local communities.  That's a tall order.
>
> And don't be in a hurry.  Kent Swafford in his infinite wisdom once
> said to me that projects in PTG can take years to evolve, develop
> and mature.  I have to agree with him.
>
> So in spite of what could be construed to be negative comments
> coming from lowly Nebraska, I support you guys.  PTG will be better
> off because of your efforts and dedication.
>
> Richard West

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College