[CAUT] agraffes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 30 01:32:03 MST 2007

Hi Karen

If there is a problem with getting the action regulation good because
the height difference then you have a nice problem in front of you.  You
cant add or subtract washers because then you will alter the alignment
of the agraffe when tight.  Milling the underside of the agraffe would
essentially do the same thing... tho you could do this AND subtract
washers to get your result.  Milling the plate itself would work I
suppose, but any milling to do this would be really fun to achieve a
perfect result with.

You could always replace agraffes as part of a restringing job... have
enough new agraffes on hand so that you can choose which ones align when
tight and are at the same time at a more uniform height.

Cheers
RicB

    Willem,
    I understand the usage of washers for aligning agraffes
    perpendicular to the
    the strings; in this case there are visible differences in heights.  I'm
    thinking of removing some of the washers and adding to others so the
    heights
    are within a few thousandths of an inch.
    Karen