[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 30 01:55:52 MST 2007

Hi Folks.

I've sort have taken a read and listen approach to the discussion for a
while... but this post and a couple somewhat similar ones along the line
prompt a response.

Perhaps if CAUT wants to go with some kind of a certification,  AND they
want it to be a reasonable guarantee that the holder is qualified to
handle a head of department job.... then we should look at some of the
schools already operating and see just how well equipped graduates
really are upon completion as a place to start for our own efforts at
creating a set of criteria for certification.

That said... and with agreement as to the benefits of such a good
starting point...  I have to be a bit questioning as to just how far
along the line one can get in any 2 year education without any further
experience.  No doubt one can plug in as a very  good journeyman if the
curriculum is demanding enough... but I would think a head of department
would need this... and a few years of experience under the belt... and a
good amount of basic music education.

This last is a subject matter in itself I deem... and I suppose its
worth a dedicated thread... Just how much music education should such a
position demand ?... and for that matter how much music education should
techs in general have ?

Cheers
RicB

    Fred, Ed, and All,

    The two-year master's program at Florida State University is an
    unusually accelerated and intensive opportunity.  It is one option in a
    field of rare opportunity for such training.  Graduates leave with tools
    I wish I'd had when I started out thirty years ago.  Not only are they
    equipped to fill university posts but can virtually go anywhere in the
    business and plug in successfully.  I designed the program with as much
    openness and free exchange of ideas as possible as evidenced by our ever
    growing list of guest lecturers.  I also hoped that other institutions
    and entities would be stimulated by our program to look into developing
    other opportunities.  Any initiative that helps elevate and strengthen
    our field is worth investigating as collaborative, not competitive.

    Anne