[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:33:26 MST 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:55 AM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Just how much music education should such a position demand ?...
> and for that matter how much music education should techs in
> general have ?
>
> Cheers
> RicB

My thinking is that someone can easily learn more outside of formal
education, whether it be music, business, science, mathematics,
literature, or piano tuning and repair.  Some people are just born
with inclinations towards certain skills and abilities, while others
who have to be formally instructed never achieve the same ability
levels.  So, are we talking about "education" as a formality? or
education as in applicable knowledge and skill?  Which is more
important?

The older I get and the more life I experience, the more I am
inclined to believe the formal education process is highly overrated
(and much the source of some of our societal problems, but that is
another subject for another day).

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina