[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 31 21:18:05 MST 2007

> I don't see the need for a college degree for a CAUT, any more than for
> a top-level commercial electrician.
>
> And why would a CAUT need a music degree?  Shouldn't piano instructors
> be RPT's, then?  Yes, knowledge of music is helpful, moreso in specific
> situations, but you can regulate without knowing the structure of a sonata.
>
> Say this pithier and funnier for me, Ron N....
>
> --Cy--

No promises.

When people assume I must play if I tune, I tell them I'm a
mechanic, not a performer, and the guy in the pits isn't the
one driving the race, but we in the pits make the race
possible. And yes, I see and classify myself as a mechanic
with no more exotic or self-aggrandizing a description. The
techs with the degree, or even "just" those who play, largely
insist that a tech can't be effective unless he's them,
essentially. Meanwhile, the techs who don't play and aren't
possessed of the academic and pianistic performance
credentials and capabilities generally fail to see how they're
sub-standard as a technician because of it. As I've pointed
out in probably altogether too many other instances, anything
this ostensibly critical ought to be obvious in practice. In
other words, those who have music degrees, or those who play,
should be producing piano work that is clearly if not vastly
superior to those who haven't, and/or don't. If they aren't,
detectably, (your call) it strikes me as a non-issue anywhere
beyond the realm of academic pretense/prejudice and into
objective real world performance requirements. We are what we
can or can't do, whether the bureaucratic mind can grasp it or
not. This is just another echo of the age old logic error
implying that if there are high function individuals in an
organization, then everyone in the organization is high
function by association. It's ok to be good at something. I
think it's essential that we aspire to just that to whatever
degree we're able, but it's a personal worth thing, rather
than a membership association thing.

I've considered lobbying for an Agnostic PTG classification,
but I expect it'd be in committee for a very long time without
ever getting to the testing criteria. Too bad. It could make a
cool T shirt.
Ron N