[CAUT] Digest, Vol 1103, Issue 85 Moving Wippen Rail

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:52:32 MST 2007

Hi Rick, I think measuring to the top of the jack is just easier and the
figures work close enough but really the line to the top of the jack is an
imaginary RA. I want to eventually work up the proofs for what I am talking
about. I think eventually the proof will write itself but I will need the
education that will come as I finish off my engineering degree to bring it
all together. There is so much to consider when moving action parts. Jon
Page is intuitive with his stack move. He knows when it works. David Love
knows when the rail move will work. Each action is different sometimes. Just
a mm here and there but what a difference it can make. Essentially you have
to know the effects all the way through the action. David Stanwood has
worked through the effects of the changes he recommends after measuring it
his way. He cannot predict anything that will happen if you don't take the
measurments his way. This doesn't mean his is the only way of looking at an
action or that it is exactly correct.
It is my insistance that the lever carries the jack. Just by the very
definition of the terms lever and jack, the jack is not part of the lever,
it is a jack. I can make it of any length and the force at the end will be
the same. The last sentence if the key. I can make the jack any length and
the force out the end is the same. How then can I measure the RA to the top
of the jack?

Keith Roberts