[CAUT] All day with Wally Brooks

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 10 12:24:20 MDT 2008

Fred et.al,

I'm sorry I can't come, but we had Wally out here a year ago or so for
this very class.  I HIGHLY recommend any of you going if you can.  It was
extremely informative and educational.  I took that class immediately to
many pianos here at UNL with great results...especially in tone building
and now have great respect for his Natural Felt hammers.

I hope you have a great turn out!

Best,

Paul

Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
04/10/2008 12:31 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] All day with Wally Brooks

 The NM chapter would like to invite you to an all day seminar with Wally
Brooks, to be held on Saturday, May 17 at the University of NM,
Albuquerque, NM.

1.      All About Hammers
Take a microscopic tour into the depths of a piano hammer.  Learn about
the making of felt and the process of manufacturing hammers including our
new Natural Felt.  We will discuss how to control weight and touch through
hammer selection and the information needed for boring hammers.  You will
also learn grand and upright hammer hanging on old and new shanks and
flanges as well as using pre-hung hammers.

2.      Replacing Grand Action Parts – for fun, profit & weight control
What is important when changing parts?  Important measurements to consider
and their effects on fit regulation and touch.  Backcheck installation,
using sample kits and a simple system for controlling touch weight.

3.      Tone Building
A thorough discussion and demonstration of the process of putting a new
set of hammers into their optimum working state and the art of listening
to tone.

For further information, please contact me off list.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu