[CAUT] Unauthorized "prepared pianos"

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Tue Apr 15 14:59:47 MDT 2008

Thanks to Kent and Fred for these excellent insights. Has anyone had
problems with crushed copper windings on fine bass strings? This has been
the worst damage I have seen  on our Steinway D which has been a fine
concert instrument for many years. After consulting and reaching agreement
with the performer to put brass screws instead of steel screws between
plain wire strings, and wooden sticks (disassmbled clothes pins) between the
wound bass strings the performer decided that the sound was not right for
the bass strings and used the screws while my back was tunred and I did not
attend the concert. Well fool me once. Next time I'll be in the bluejays box
with a machine gun. That is when the damage occurred and the bass strings
began to buzz after they had left town. So that's a new set of bass strings.
Probably will improve the piano in general as they were over 10 years old
anyway. But really the sense of entitlement that allows a performer to do
this sort of thing is beyond the pale. Personally I can't find much value in
this kind of music anyway and relegating it to a dedicated POS or PSO seems
the best compromise.
If I can't sing it I sure don't want to whistle it.
Chris Solliday