[CAUT] pinning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Apr 13 13:46:09 MDT 2008

Hi David

I know there are several opinions about how pinning can affect tone
and/or if it does at all to begin with but my experience tells me that
as solid a pinning as is possible without compromising the ability of
the action to play and repeat quickly is a precept for good voicing and
good projection. Whether it is because the tighter pining causes a more
solid path and impact moment, and less dispersion of impact energy back
through the system or not... I really dont know.  I think like many such
subjects, the actual physics is something we do a lot of guessing at but
really dont <<know>> much about.  That said... the difference in sound
and projection is real enough and its one of the things I do very early
on in any full voicing/regulation beef up I do on an instrument. Like
hammer mating and unisons being in a level plane.

Cheers
RicB

    I have been having some interesting time with our Hamburg Steinway
    here at Stanford.  This is 9 years old.   I filed the hammers for
    the first time...I know, not heavy playing...but I repinned for the
    2nd time in a year.  Went from 4 grams to 2 grams or so...I decided
    to repin at 5 to 6 grams.   The tone is projecting (tone above the
    strings) to beat the band...the combination of careful filing and
    repinning has, imho, brought the piano back to it's new piano
    sound...I'd appreciate comment on center pinning/tone and concert
    instruments...

    David Ilvedson, RPT

    Pacifica, CA 94044