[CAUT] Ronsen-Wurzen hammers

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Wed Apr 16 10:40:31 MDT 2008

Hi Paul,

One thing that disturbs me about these hammers, at least on the pianos I
have put them on, is that they never give me the "clang" that I want at a
fff dynamic level. They are nicely made, don't require much prep, and give a
warm, dark tone quality, but in my experience with a fff blow all you get is
more volume without as much change in the partial mix as I want. I have
ended up juicing every set. If I could get a set of S&S hammers that were
completely unaltered at the factory (long uncoved, unarced tails), I would
use Steinway hammers. I happen to like the sound I can get using lacquer, so
I will  go back to using Ronsen Bacon hammers with lacquer. Having said this
though, so as not to be misunderstood, I do not like a bright piano sound
that you get from hard hammers. The only time I want clang is at the highest
dynamic levels, so the pianist has to work to get it, as opposed to those
pianos that are pingy from the getgo at a pp level.

FWIW.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University