[CAUT] Ronsen-Wurzen hammers

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:24:16 MDT 2008

Definitely not just sugarcoating. Where to needle depends in part on where
the juice was applied. When I juice these hammers I don't do it Steinway
style (from the top), I apply it on the shoulders and watch it wick in
toward the tip of the molding but trying to avoid the strike point. I want
to get the juice into the core but not at the strike point. Not always
achievable. For those hammers where the juice got too close to the strike
point and are pingy, I'll go right into the strike point, ala Steinway. But
one other thing about these hammers. The felt is very dense and they do not
needle like Steinway hammers. They are a bit grabby and harder to needle.
Not harder to needle as in the rocks that we used to attempt to needle 15
years ago when a single needle tool was the only possibility for some
hammers and/or those hammers that could not be penetrated even with alcohol
and water (as in water off a duck's back). Still the needling technique is
not fundamentally different than what you'd use on a Steinway.

Alan