[CAUT] Ronsen-Wurzen hammers

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:01:58 MDT 2008

Mitch,

I treat them pretty much the same as I would a set of Steinway
hammers... mostly shallow needling on the crown. I experiment with deep
needling or squeezing the shoulders to round out the tone and give it
what I call "presence". The added resilience there seems to add richness
to the tone and a little more zing. It's like it widens the spectrum of
the harmonics. None of this happens however if the core isn't hard
enough.

The weight of these hammers has a large influence on the tone. My
experience with the 16lb Ronsens is that they are extremely heavy which
requires a lot more core-hardening and low action ratios. The 14lb
hammers can also be rather heavy I have found.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati