[CAUT] Fw: Grieg Experiment

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 25 10:41:33 MDT 2008

Fred-

I think it would have made sense to him.

He had used a phonautograph, a French invention that made visible tracings
of sound waves, but could not play back a recording.
Then he had invented an automatic telegraph machine which used embossed tape
to move an electric switch. When the speed control on the tape machine went
haywire,
the embossed tape made a warbling tone. Put it all together and
you've got "Mary had a little lamb..."

[His machinist built the prototype from Edison's sketch. Edison turned the
crank and shouted the nursery rhyme into the mouthpiece. It worked on the
very first try!]

A web search of "Brahms wax recording" will lead to explanations of the
technology, and an example of how a musical signal (of sorts) can be
retrieved from an unintelligible hiss on a badly worn cylinder. I hope
they'll develop that technology for old brain waves before it's too late for
me.  ;-)

 Ed Sutton