[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 10:46:49 MDT 2008

> Good points. I guess I shouldn’t expect anyone to jump up and down with
> joy over a criticism of their pride and joy… It was narrow minded indeed.

Sheep dip. Don't apologize for being right.

Narrow mindedness precludes consideration of anything
different that could lead to the realization that there might
be better ways to do things than we "believe" or were
"taught". Assessing a different idea on logical merit and
ascertaining it's actual physical merits by trying it is as
broad minded, sincere, and practical as it gets. If anyone is
narrow minded, it's the individual that adheres to the
cantilever and short back scale while ignoring the potential
for improvement of a different approach. Jim, you weren't born
believing that moving the bridge to eliminate the cantilever
and lengthening the back scale was the thing to to, and
cooking up any old justification you could think of, however
flaky, to justify your belief. You were introduced to the idea
by others, and though it was different from what you have seen
in pianos all your life, it made enough sense to you that you
tried it to find out if it worked (and found it worked very
well) - exactly as I did. You like the result, as I do, and
don't mind passing potentially valuable information on to
someone who might benefit from it, as I also don't. Being
called narrow minded for doing so strikes me as appropriate
justification for not sharing further information, if the
attitude is general, or installing appropriate filters if the
attitude is specific. But that's just me.

Ron N