[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 15:17:28 MDT 2008

> I know I'm right, but Ric's point was kind of "What did you
> expect them to say/how would you react?" That's where I
> thought I was being narrow minded. (He's right. I should
> have known better)

I still would call him narrow minded rather than you.
Indelicate, perhaps, and even opinionated (horrors!), but not
narrow minded. I don't know how normal people are supposed to
react, but moving the bass bridge and increasing back scale
length made immediate non threatening sense to me, however
many cantilevered bridges I'd made and strung to that point.
Should I have been offended and dismissed it as nonsense
without thinking it through because that's not how it's done?
I think I see part of the problem here being the difference
between faith based belief in something, and a rationally
arrived at opinion. Rationally arrived at opinions are very
easy to change with different information and more detailed
rationale to incorporate it into the current reality. I form,
adopt, adapt, and abandon opinions daily as the evidence they
address accumulates. A belief, regardless of evidence, is
impossible to shake. That's an opinion, based on experience
and subject to change with better data.

> No matter how much you, Del, Ron Overs, and others can show
> how convention is actually wrong in some instances, things
> pretty much stay the same.

Things are changing at an ever increasing rate among the
technical community as more people get to hear the results of
these changes and become interested in knowing something about
the processes and principles that produced them, so I haven't
given up just yet.

> I think it's exactly as you said earlier;
>
> "It seems to me that you can't typically tell people that
> what they're hearing in a piano is desirable unless it is
> from one of a handful of famous manufacturers."

I agree that for a large number, that will never change no
matter what.
Ron N