[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 29 19:48:26 MDT 2008

Okay, I guess if somebody says that having no cantilever, and longer
back scale, is "better" and that this is something that should be
accepted as a "fact" I get the impression that it implies that
everyone else is wrong <G>. No big deal, I really admire and prefer
the attitude that constantly challenges assumptions and authority. But
sometimes there are dangers lurking in having "proven" the other side
wrong.
	Granted, the pro-cantilever crowd justify their design on false
premises: "it puts the bearing out in a more resonant part of the
soundboard;" "it allows for longer string length, which obviously is
to be preferred." This is twaddle, as you have very ably pointed out.
But that doesn't necessarily make shorter back length and cantilever a
bad design feature per se. Lots of people do the "right" thing for the
"wrong" reason - and vice versa <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico