[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 20:17:14 MDT 2008

> Okay, I guess if somebody says that having no cantilever, and longer
> back scale, is "better" and that this is something that should be
> accepted as a "fact" I get the impression that it implies that everyone
> else is wrong <G>.

Could be, but I didn't say that, and you shouldn't be
indicating such from impressions of implications, particularly
second hand ones, now should you?

>No big deal, I really admire and prefer the attitude
> that constantly challenges assumptions and authority. But sometimes
> there are dangers lurking in having "proven" the other side wrong.
>     Granted, the pro-cantilever crowd justify their design on false
> premises: "it puts the bearing out in a more resonant part of the
> soundboard;" "it allows for longer string length, which obviously is to
> be preferred." This is twaddle, as you have very ably pointed out. But
> that doesn't necessarily make shorter back length and cantilever a bad
> design feature per se. Lots of people do the "right" thing for the
> "wrong" reason - and vice versa <G>.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Hmmm. My impression of the implications here is that you
didn't say anything, but it's tough to tell, so I'll leave it
alone. I think I'll stick with such cause and effect
relationships as I'm able to grasp. This double reversal fuzzy
stuff is beyond me.
Ron N