[CAUT] Brodmann pianos

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 30 03:48:18 MDT 2008

Just wanted to offer compliments on this and you last post. That
expressed exactly the sentiment I attempted to convey.

I thought I'd also dip into your second paragraph below.. the bit about
the second of the two "false premises".  Is this a false premise ??   If
you strike the word "obviously"... then the sentence could easily be
reflecting someones honest opinion about resultant sound. If on the
other hand it is an attempt at declaring that longer string lengths
"enhance" sound regardless of anyone elses idea of sound and regardless
of any other design considerations... then the statement is on very thin
ice indeed.

That said.. what you follow up with about "doing the right thing for the
wrong reasons"... is spot on.  Our world (and most others) are more
complete with this kind of stumbling in the dark then not me thinks.  In
the end much of what these resurgent ideas packed in new explanations
declares will probably be revealed to be likewise.  Grin... ever read
any of the debates around Cosmology ???..

Thanks for two very level headed posts.

Cheers
RicB

    Okay, I guess if somebody says that having no cantilever, and longer
    back scale, is "better" and that this is something that should be
    accepted as a "fact" I get the impression that it implies that
    everyone else is wrong <G>. No big deal, I really admire and prefer
    the attitude that constantly challenges assumptions and authority.
    But  sometimes there are dangers lurking in having "proven" the
    other side  wrong.

    Granted, the pro-cantilever crowd justify their design on false
    premises: "it puts the bearing out in a more resonant part of the
    soundboard;" "it allows for longer string length, which obviously is
    to be preferred." This is twaddle, as you have very ably pointed
    out.  But that doesn't necessarily make shorter back length and
    cantilever a  bad design feature per se. Lots of people do the
    "right" thing for the  "wrong" reason - and vice versa <G>.

    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm at unm.edu