[CAUT] endangered European piano- newspaper article

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed Apr 30 13:01:34 MDT 2008

Hi Elwood,

Can you come tune my harpsichord soon? *grin*

480,000 pianos produced last year. 10,000 tuners? Hmmmm 480 each per year.
What about last year's production figures?

What would be nice to know is sales figures for North America.

There is talk of folks some day (soon) downloading their consciousness onto
a computer. Interesting times we live in.

I do agree the piano industry is in a tail spin and is unlikely to recover.

There is no "energy crisis". All there is is folks insisting on using
fossil fuels when solar energy is available. (My solar panels have
arrived--now to install them!)

At 12:26 PM 4/30/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>As the Asian market takes over more of the piano production, the workers
>will demand more income and a more lavish lifestyle.  That will continue
>to raise the price of overseas pianos.  The energy crisis will make it
>more expensive to ship overseas pianos to the US.  All of this will
>cause the piano manufacturers to move their operations back to the US.
>The electronic keyboards will be made more and more cheaply which means
>that, instead of having a life of 50 to 100 years, consumers will only
>get 5 to 7 years out of one, and the cost of repair will be prohibitive,
>let alone trying to get parts for them, and the consumer will continue
>to purchase new and used pianos.  The cost of purchasing a keyboard that
>has the same touch as an acoustic piano will continue to go up and be
>comparable to a used upright so the consumer will opt for the instrument
>that will last the longest...I could go on....
>Is the acoustic piano doomed?  Not on your life!
>Joy!
>Elwood

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner