[CAUT] endangered European piano- newspaper article

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Apr 30 13:16:13 MDT 2008

There always has been, and will continue to be, a demand for three levels of pianos: High end performance, mid level teaching, and low level in home use. (with exceptions, of course). To that end, there will always be a demand for high end and mid level pianos, although on a lessor scale. But there has always be a demand for  cheaper pianos. Even when pianos were first starting to be made, there were cheaper made pianos. Piano manufacturing shifted to areas of the country, and the world, where the price of labor and land are cheaper. Look at our own industry. In the late 1800, piano manufacturing was mostly in the Northeast. Then it shifted to the Midwest and the South. After WWII, it shifted again to Japan, Korea, and now China, Indonesia, etc. My prediction is that Africa and the Middle East, after the conflicts are settled, is where the new inexpensive pianos will be made.

In my book is a chapter dealing with the shift of piano manufacturing. Here are the last 2 paragraph of that chapter.

A Cultural Side Benefit

There is a second, but very important side benefit of the low-end piano manufacturer situation. When the piano factories moved away from the cultural centers, first from the big cites to the country, and then to other countries, for the first time in their lives many of the people making these pianos were introduced to music in general, and piano music in particular.  People learned to play and listen to music of Western culture. As the people in Japan, Korea, and now China, are exposed to this music, they learn more and more about Western Culture. As they learn about “our” culture, they begin to understand it. As they learn to understand it, they will embraced it and become our friends.

It is my belief that over the next 50 years, piano manufacturing will be introduced to other third world countries around the world, including Africa and the Middle East. As these people learn about the piano, they will learn and understand Western Culture. This, I believe, will add greatly to the unification of our world. Music is not only a universal language, it will also have a great influence in bringing about world peace.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of