[CAUT] Steinway 1098

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 3 16:23:30 PST 2008

Doug,
I do agree that if the majority of one's experience is with other makes, only occasionally encountering the 1098 will be like an encounter with an alien from outer space.  Having spent a significant amount of time with 1098s in a university setting during my earlier years I now find in retrospect that experience to have been exceptionally beneficial for me.  I have recently encountered a particularly ornery example of a 1098 from Mars, and it being in a church sanctuary with extreme reverberation really exacerbated the difficulty of the tuning process.  But overall, I'd say my experience with the beasts is similar to yours.  Once you learn to work with them, they are not so big and ugly, and once you learn how deal with the tuning process, they are particularly stable.  I have several customers who own them and my experience with annual tunings reflects yours: I feel guilty collecting the check.  But probably the most important point you make is right on:  a 50-year-old Steinway beater is usually more fun to play than a 50-year-old beater of brand X, and if you're going to be forced to neglect pianos in practice rooms, that would be my choice of piano to win the survival of the fittest.  And in the end, this, if anything, is what justifies the higher price.

In fact, some friends of mine recently sold one they bought some years ago after it had spent some years in a college practice room.  He refinished it himself (actually, a very nice job) and had action work done on it in the late 1970s by someone who apparently knew what they were doing (new hammers, etc.), and she had been teaching on it up until she inherited her parents Mason & Hamlin A last year.  It remains a very nice example of what a 1940s Steinway 45/1098 can be like after 60 plus years.

Tanner