[CAUT] Steinway 1098

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 3 22:01:19 PST 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Tanner
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway 1098
  In fact, some friends of mine recently sold one they bought some years ago after it had spent some years in a college practice room.  He refinished it himself (actually, a very nice job) and had action work done on it in the late 1970s by someone who apparently knew what they were doing (new hammers, etc.), and she had been teaching on it up until she inherited her parents Mason & Hamlin A last year.  It remains a very nice example of what a 1940s Steinway 45/1098 can be like after 60 plus years.

  Tanner
...and I might add, that he's been tuning it himself all these years.  He just up and taught himself to tune -- a Steinway 45 no less -- and that's the only piano he tunes.  The first time I saw it he had asked me to come look it over and give them an idea of what to sell it for.  I was surprised that his tuning was so good, and I couldn't help but think how a once-a-year amateur tuner could do that well with a Steinway 45/1098 while the pros gripe and complain about them.

Tanner