[CAUT] Steinway 1098

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 3 16:28:29 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Douglas Wood wrote:

> The very small window of acceptability for the shape of the tuning
> remains--it's part of the musical character. And the tuning will not
> be stable until the pins are in EXACTLY the right position. Very
> demanding of tuning technique. But then exceptionally stable.
>
> So while I'd not go so far as to say they're a pleasure to tune,
> they are much better. And I find them a remarkable pleasure to play.
>
> Fast is something I've never managed with tuning them. But I've
> found that the reward for extra effort in tuning is that they are
> amazingly stable. I have a couple that I visit every 3 or 4 years,
> and I'm almost embarrassed to collect my fee.

	I agree that the 1098 demands, really demands that the tuning pin be
turned to exactly the right position more than most other pianos. And
that if you do that, you get quite good stability. But I believe that
if you do that with any piano you get very good stability. Other
pianos may be more "forgiving" for the time being (you can get a very
clean tuning more easily that lasts at least until you are out the
door <G>), but what it amounts to often is that you have manipulated
string one way or another past a friction point, and it's not going to
stay. Hence, less long term stability, or so it seems to me. It will
creep over time. Maybe not in response to one or two test blows.
	I find the 1098 changes with humidity change about on a par with the
average upright. The one I take care of at a private school (for which
I have 12 years of data) moves 10-45 cents in an average seasonal RH
flux from 5 - 45%. 10 to 45 means that the strings that change least
(eg, bass) move 10 cents, those that move most (low tenor, treble
break, and, in the case of 1098, extreme high treble) move up to 45
cents. This is about equal to the Yamaha P22s at the same location.
Less change than the Hamilton 243 or the Everett studios, which move
more in the extreme high treble. It may be that the 1098 sounds a bit
more in tune with itself more of the time, because the low tenor and
treble break notes in the Yamaha moves very fast and far in response
to humidity change, faster than the 1098.
	Major pitch change is different, not necessarily bad in my
experience. I find that if I use standard offsets, I end up
overshooting pitch by quite a bit. So when it is within 15 cents, I
just tune to pitch and run through again to touch up. When it is 20
cents or more, I do a minor offset of maybe 10%, just offset the ETD
(no reading or letting the ETD decide). If I do this, I find it no
more trouble than any other piano.
	On the whole, I think it can be a fine instrument if well prepped.
Unfortunately, I rarely see a well prepped one. When we have been
selecting for purchase, the ones we have found in the store have been
pretty mediocre - maybe just due to things like tight key bushings, so
so regulation, and dull hammers. At the price, the dealer should spend
a bit of money on prep, but hey, I'm just a tech <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu