[CAUT] Faculty as Colleagues, was Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 3 17:26:32 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> After my extensive experience at two universities and exchanging
> stories of experiences of so many other technicians at so many other
> institutions, I am skeptical to believe that there actually exist
> exceptions except for those who just want to believe that exceptions
> exist.  And I, in fact, was among them during my first few years
> with the 2nd employer.  Perhaps naivety is a good trait for a CAUT.
>
> Tanner

Hmmm, call me naive then. I come to the diametrically opposite
conclusion, judging from my own personal experience and that of the
caut colleagues I converse with. SInce I've been at it, at the same
place, for 22 years now, maybe the naivete has become full-fledged
delusion. As far as I can tell, I am on collegial terms with every
single one of our faculty, and I am invariably treated with respect,
most often with friendship.
	I have no doubt that there are toxic situations out there. I have
witnessed such things in various departments over the years. But it
certainly doesn't have to be that way. And even the "lowly" caut can
contribute to keeping the atmosphere positive. Like Joel says, "keep
smiling" - it really doesn't hurt all that much.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu