[CAUT] Faculty as Colleagues, was Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 3 21:38:53 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>
To: <caut at ptg.org>

> I have no doubt that there are toxic situations out there. I have
> witnessed such things in various departments over the years.

Toxic isn't particularly how I would describe it.  Easy to work or not with
isn't what I'm talking about.  Most faculty are professionally congenial to
our faces, for certain, and we can as professionals have cordial
relationships with them all.  It is a subtle, but steady undercurrent.  I
assure you, no matter how congenial the person can be, they are convinced
that doctoral degree sets them above non-doctored persons.  If they weren't,
the degree would have no value.  That is the glass ceiling CAUTs will never
break.  And unfortunately, it is a pretty low ceiling.

Of course it isn't every single member of every faculty.  But it is a large
enough percentage to matter.

> But it  certainly doesn't have to be that way. And even the "lowly" caut
> can  contribute to keeping the atmosphere positive.

No doubt.  But on occasion when you hear one talk sourly of another of their
"equal" colleagues behind closed doors, you begin to wonder just what they
are saying (or thinking) about us "subordinates" in our absence.  Certainly,
as long as we "know our place", and are comfortable being treated as
subordinates, the atmosphere can remain positive.  And as long as we're
happy making less money than they are, everything can remain positive.

Tanner