[CAUT] Steinway 1098

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 4 06:57:34 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 11:21 PM, David Love wrote:

> We should differentiate in this continuing discussion between being
> able to tune one and enjoying tuning one.  There are many pianos
> that are poorly designed in terms of tuning pin flag polling that
> anyone with experience is capable of tuning.  Give me a me a piano
> the ease of which might lull me into a false sense of security (a
> fairly absurd supposition) anytime.

	And there are definitely various things which lead one piano to be
easier or harder to tune than another. To get a solid tuning, the pin
has to be moved very precisely to just the right position, on any
piano. All well and good. But pins behave and feel differently
depending on various factors, and 1098s of older vintage did/do have
that flag-poling extra springiness that makes it difficult to feel
small movements of the pin in the block. Coupled with, often, excess
friction and a long string length between speaking length and tuning
pin. Combine the worst of that, and it can definitely be a piano that
isn't fun to tune, like many Baldwin grands of fairly recent vintage
(with the 1000 ply pinblock, 500 lb pin torque, and various unmuted
and unmutable addition duplex style string segments). One has to
wrestle with every single darned pin.
	 I agree, ease of tuning is a definite plus when selecting an
instrument, because it is more likely to be in fine tune more of the
time (among other things, a less skilled tuner will be more able to do
an adequate job), and will take less of the tech's time and effort for
tuning, leaving more for other maintenance. And it will make for a
happier tuner.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico