[CAUT] S&S teflon bushings - reaming procedure

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Dec 6 23:08:06 PST 2008

Mark -
I started writing this this morning, but had to leave.  Since then,
Fred has provided a fairly thorough description of the appropriate
techniques.  I've just added some additional thoughts.

Mark / Wim -(Fred)
What comes with each kit?  (Mannino & Steinway)
 From your original post, it sounds like the problem is more towards
excess friction, not looseness.  Where are you located?  I ask
because if you are in a climate like the northeast, with fairly
severe climate swings, you have to try to adapt your target friction
for the season you're working in.  In other words,  if I am repinning
teflon in the middle of winter, I will aim for the higher side of
tolerance, since, in the summer, that pinning will get
looser.  Usually you have to go through a complete seasonal cycle or
two before you've moved all centers into the middle of the
range.  And still, if piano is in an uncontrolled environment, you
would probably never get it perfect.  But of course, you're selling
this, so your objective is more limited.

I respectfully disagree with the Luau Meister.  I would, unless
absolutely unavailable, use the polished (end) pins, for two
reasons.  First, I do believe the burr from cutting can affect the
way the pin moves in the bushing, but you can also reuse that pin,
since the rounded end seems not to enlarge the hole in the flange the
way the regular pin does.  The whole basis for the Steinway method of
adjusting tight bushings depends upon being able to push the pin
part-way out and then back, after you've reamed, one side at a time.
(Either end of a standard pin would likely abrade a teflon bushing
when being repositioned.)   It also allows fine tuning of the total
friction by being able to modify the two sides independently.

I have a set or two of carbide reamers (4 flutes) - .0490" to .0530"
by .0005" graduations, which I had made by Johnson Carbide a number
of years ago - when Steinway was supplying those spoon-type
reamers.  I like them, mostly, but I tend to switch off with my
homemade set of graduated roughed center pins.  With them, there is
less of a possibility of the tool "digging" in, like planing into the grain.

  Unlike Fred's experience, I think I found that using the same size
of reamer as the pin you are fitting ends up being too little
friction.  Maybe that's what he meant.  I usually start with an
under-size reamer and work my way up.

But again, you are mostly trying to ease existing bushings.  I have
had success with going in only part way with the reamer and not even
making complete rotations.  Again, don't automatically assume that
you need to ream both sides.  You might get the result you want by
just easing one, which is fine, as long as there is no wobble.

As far as Wim's suggestion about installing new parts, he may be
correct about the improvement in performance, but in the current $
climate, it isn't at all certain that you would even recover your
investment, let alone realize any significant increase in the sale
value.  It should, but...

By the way, how many bushings are in a set from Steinway?

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY