[CAUT] S&S teflon bushings - reaming procedure

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Dec 7 08:17:23 PST 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 12:08 AM, David Skolnik wrote:

> Unlike Fred's experience, I think I found that using the same size
> of reamer as the pin you are fitting ends up being too little
> friction.  Maybe that's what he meant.  I usually start with an
> under-size reamer and work my way up.

I was referring to the fluted reamers, which precisely size the hole
to the designated diameter. Who knows, maybe there is enough
difference in reamer and pin diameter that other people's experience
would differ, though Mark seems to say that his was the same as mine.
My experience has been very consistent over the years: always 6g or
(usually) more. I'd be very interested to hear different experiences.
BTW, such reamers are available at McMaster Carr (online) in .005"
increments at, I think, somewhere between $16 and $20 each (less for
standard wire gauge sizes).
	With the roughed up centerpin or Mannino, they cut to a larger size,
depending on just how much the material has been roughed up. So with
them I'll start at a smaller size, and find out what works. Same when
I use them on felt bushings.
	About change in humidity, I think the larger teflon bushings, with
the ridges, pretty much take care of that problem. But maybe people in
other climates have different experiences. The original, smaller
diameter ones without ridges, had lots of humidity problems, and those
are the ones I have been lucky enough to deal with for the past 22
years (four more pianos left to convert to wool).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu