[CAUT] String Level

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Mon Dec 8 09:11:52 PST 2008

I'd like to put in a different opinion: A bubble level is not really
necessary.  One can also use the hammer heads for reference, because it
is the hammer / string interface that we are really wanting to get
perfect, not an ideal string level.  This is because strings are not
perfectly straight, even when under tension.  They have slight
curvature, and once they are leveled with the bubble gauge, this is only
correct at that one location - 6 inches down the strings it will be a
little different.

When working with new strings I start by doing an even lift of every
string with the string hook, just to get the worst of the agraffe / capo
arc tightened up.  Start with the pitch sharp, hook all the wires, then
tune it again.  With older pianos this probably isn't going to be
needed.

With the action out of the piano, raise the hammers to strike point with
something under the shanks, and gang file the hammer tops for perfect
level.  Use a straightedge along the hammer tops to verify that the
strike points are perfectly level, and take your time with a good light
behind the hammers to verify that the tops are level.  Using fine grade
sandpaper to do this helps.

Then place a strip of felt under the knuckles (those red key cover felts
work, or use thick nameboard felt) and carefully ease the action back
into the piano.  The felt will eliminate letoff, and allow you to press
the key, blocking the hammers and raising the dampers.  Now pluck
strings and hook the wire to get them mated to the hammers.

The main problem I had with using a bubble level is that the dampers are
in the way, and the strings are not as straight as we would like them to
be.  They continue to curve a little under the dampers, so even with
perfect bubble leveling and perfect hammer filing, the fit will need to
be tweaked quite a bit.  If you level the hammers carefully, then use
the hammers as a reference for hooking the wire, you only have to touch
up hammer filing on a few notes with stubborn strings.

I should add: if you can do the bubble level job without the dampers, so
that you level the strings right at the strike point, it does work very
well.

Don Mannino

  _____