[CAUT] String Level

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Dec 9 08:38:49 PST 2008

Hi Don,

Supporting what you said, I also understand that as you tune and the string goes through the agraffe or over the V-bar, the "level" at the strike point can also change. IOW, make them perfectly level with the bubble level, then adjust pitch on a string. Voila! The strings aren't level anymore. This is due to the string "rocking" slightly and pushing it up or down a ways back at the strike point. I studied this a bit trying to figure out why I had to level strings so often. What changes? This "tilting" of the string from tuning seems to be one culprit that no one, to my knowledge, has addressed. It's easy to see once you're looking for it. What do you think?

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU