[CAUT] screw-y stuff

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 9 18:11:47 PST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:40 AM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> I was planning on installing delignit plugs in the rim of the Yamaha
> and glue-sizing (possibly with some non-glue material added) for the
> others.

Hi Alan,
	Plugs are best, if done well. Another possibility that isn't widely
known (tip courtesy of Eric Schandall) is hammer felt. Cut a wedge of
hammer felt scrap to fit the hole, slice it most of the way in half
(from the wide side not quite all the way down to the tip), press into
the hole, put an awl or similar into the middle of the split you made
to make the obvious opening for the screw, and install the screw. I
like it for grand action bracket screws and Steinway hammerflange
screws, and have used it in a few other places. It works well.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu