[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 10 17:22:51 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 3:53 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> Actually that sounds like a good idea if you knew what the mixture
> was...this stuff is toxic and we all need to think about what we do
> with it...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

	Agreed. Frankly, I think it would probably be fine to add to lacquer
for hardening hammers. I would feel nearly positive that the
ingredients would amount to solids from lacquer, lacquer sanding
sealer and/or keytop/acrylic. And at that dilution, I wouldn't really
worry about it. But what I actually do is save the stuff in an empty
thinner can (labeled) and re-use it for various cleaning purposes:
soaking CA tips, getting paint off cabinet hardware, soaking the grime
off my bicycle chain, softening an old paintbrush, etc. Things that
don't need pristine material. I don't think Don Mannino's use as weed
killer is a bad idea either. The stuff is essentially going to
evaporate into the atmosphere eventually. I don't think it would leave
any toxic residue in the soil. Other, less volatile solvents maybe (I
wouldn't pour mineral spirits or paint remover into the soil).
	Bottom line, we use some nasty chemicals from time to time. My
attitude is that I want to use as little as I can. Hence my soak
method for getting lacquer out of hammers: I think it uses less
solvent, and I can re-use it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico