[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 07:51:53 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2008, at 3:53 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:
>
> Actually that sounds like a good idea if you knew what the mixture
>> was...this stuff is toxic and we all need to think about what we do with
>> it...
>>
>> David Ilvedson, RPT
>> Pacifica, CA  94044
>>

>        Agreed. Frankly, I think it would probably be fine to add to lacquer
> for hardening hammers. I would feel nearly positive that the ingredients
> would amount to solids from lacquer, lacquer sanding sealer and/or
> keytop/acrylic. And at that dilution, I wouldn't really worry about it. But
> what I actually do is save the stuff in an empty thinner can (labeled) and
> re-use it for various cleaning purposes: soaking CA tips, getting paint off
> cabinet hardware, soaking the grime off my bicycle chain, softening an old
> paintbrush, etc. Things that don't need pristine material. I don't think Don
> Mannino's use as weed killer is a bad idea either. The stuff is essentially
> going to evaporate into the atmosphere eventually. I don't think it would
> leave any toxic residue in the soil. Other, less volatile solvents maybe (I
> wouldn't pour mineral spirits or paint remover into the soil).
>        Bottom line, we use some nasty chemicals from time to time. My
> attitude is that I want to use as little as I can. Hence my soak method for
> getting lacquer out of hammers: I think it uses less solvent, and I can
> re-use it.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
> fssturm at unm.edu

Jumping in here on what you're saying Fred, I recall reading in one of the
woodworking magazines, a guy had taken a bucket with a lid that sealed and
installed a "drip leg" on it where he poured his used solvents in. The drip
leg allowed the solids to drop to the borrom leaving the cleaner solvents in
the bucket. He periodically uncrews the drip leg and empties out the solids.
He had installed a faucett on the other side of the bucket for draining off
the cleaned solvent as needed without having to open the bucket.
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404