[CAUT] Winter- TAPE!!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 13 13:48:01 PST 2008

Jim Busby wrote:
>Tried everything under the sun. CA glue worked
> better than new skin. Lotions and creams work if used
> constantly, but have other properties I hate.

My outlook on this stuff is as mindlessly simple as me. I
don't want to dink around with such things as my body falling
apart on me when I need it to stay out of the way. I have
things to do, and there are more interesting ways to spend
time. I don't carry a pharmacy with me into the field, nor
have one in the shop, and I don't care to try to baby
fingertips that have decided to spontaneously delaminate on
me. I want them to hush up and quit whining. I want something
quick and idiot resistant, on hand, that lets me get right
back to what I came here for without unnecessarily holding me
hostage. If I whack a hunk out of myself in the shop, it's
going to be either masking tape, tape stitches (even if it's
three or four), or a full bore trip to the emergency room.
Anything less than the emergency room trip ideally will have
me back at it within a couple of minutes - depending. I'll
take plenty of breaks on my own schedule, but I hate having
them imposed by ouchies. Fortunately, I don't knock out big
chunks much any more, so I need something that will put me
back together quickly and benignly and let me get on with it
immediately. When I stumble across something that does just
that, it goes on my "A" list. Masking tape went on the "A"
list many years ago as the result of a knife slip that I just
wasn't interested in dealing with at that moment. Hours later,
I realized that I'd been using that finger all day without
discomfort or further bloodshed, as if it had never been
slashed by a passing idiot (me) in the first place. So the
next time a finger split during a tuning, out came the tape
(which I carry, unlike CA, New Skin, bag balm, etc), and again
beat on keys the rest of the day without discomfort or
bloodshed. This simple thing works so far beyond any
reasonable expectation that I really couldn't care less how
funny it looks. I LIKE it!

> This is why I have a special folder for anything Ron
> writes. Hey Ron, got a cure for cancer, hemorrhoids, acne,
> or anything else?

Beats me. I've found that pretty much every one of us knows
something we don't consider to be any big deal or great
revelation, that someone else has desperately needed for
years. If we only knew what it was...

> I'm putting some tape back on for the rest of the day.
>
> Jim Busby

Glad I could help.
Ron N