[CAUT] Vs Profelt... again

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Dec 17 07:15:59 PST 2008

Totally unscientific, but I had occasion to try VS on a
hammer-pinning center from a Steinway action I was 'de-verting' for a
friend who just needed the action free enough to have an idea of what
the piano sounded like.  I was using naptha and aggressively working
parts (dismounted from the frame...in-place did not seem to
work).  Once dry, some seemed to have been worked a bit too
aggressively, and were loose.  I applied some VS to the pinned
assembly, but it was still too loose when dried, which is what Fred
explains below.  I unpinned and reapplied VS (sparingly) and left
center unpinned.  When dried, I had to refit pin in (almost) normal
manner, and it worked very nicely. Don't know about longevity.  Next
time I might try sizing with a pin one or two sizes under.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY