[CAUT] Vs Profelt... again

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 16 17:52:49 PST 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Chris Solliday wrote:

> Alcohol and water depends on the amount of water, more is more
> aggressive, but in any case my findings were that VS Profelt is more
> aggressive in general as a sizing solution.

	There is a pretty obvious reason for this: VS Profelt has a very high
ratio of water in its contents. I believe it is in excess of 75%
water. It's pretty rare that we use an alcohol and water mix that is
1:3 alcohol to waterl. More common is the opposite, 3:1 alcohol to
water. So if you want to compare, it would be a good idea to use a few
mixes of alcohol and water to compare to VSP. Maybe 3:1, 2:1, 1:1,
1:2, and 1:3. Or just 3:1, 1:1 and 1:3. I think that would give a
pretty fair comparison. (That is, the 3:1 water to alcohol would be a
fairly even match, the others would be instructive as alternative
strengths).
	About the notion concerning action centers, I don't think a high
water ratio there would swell the felt to take up space, like in key
bushings, for the simple reason that it is a system that requires a
lot more compression and a tighter final fit. If you add a higher
proportion of water, it causes more knitting of fibers, hence more
"shrinkage," resulting in a looser fit. The "shrinkage" is actually
felting, locking the fibers together more tightly. When you apply the
stuff, the action centers seize up (applying more compression). When
the water evaporates, the more compressed fibers leave space between
them and the pin.
	It works for key bushings because there is lots of extra space to be
filled in to start with, and you actually want a somewhat loose fit
(compared to action centers).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico