[CAUT] interesting alternative tuning experience

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:09:15 PST 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 5:26 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone else out there had any experience with notes and/or
> entire pianos being tuned sharp for prolonged periods of time?  If
> so, did you observe the same kind of behavior upon retuning?  What
> would be the most efficient way to get it back to "normal"?

	My guess is that part of it is the back scale (the string behind the
bridge), with tension creeping over the bridge. And part of it is
whatever it is that causes adjacent strings to go way out of tune when
a string breaks. I don't have experience with this, but my guess is
that some good forearm slams after the first pass, or alternately some
vigorous string stretching techniques might stabilize it faster.
String stretching meaning deflecting the string with a dowel or a
brass tool with a groove, pressing on each string pretty strongly.
These things seem to help with a piano that hasn't been played for a
long time, so they might work with what you are talking about as well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu